Afghan forces face fresh Taliban attack in Kunduz

Oct 03, 2016, 3:46 AM EDT
A member of Afghan National Police
(Source: DVIDSHUB/flickr)

Taliban militants launched a major offensive on the northern Afghan city of Kunduz from four directions at around midnight on Sunday. A government spokesman said that Afghan forces successfully repelled the attackers while admitting that fighting continued at several places in and around the strategically important city. The assault, which comes a day before international donors meet in Brussels to discuss ongoing funding for Afghanistan, outlines the precarious state of security in the country.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed on his Twitter account that a number of police officials were killed and four checkpoints captured during the coordinated attacks, notes Reuters.

Police said militants continue to hold positions inside some civilian homes on Monday and an operation was being planned to gain full control of the situation. Kunduz was seized by Taliban militants in September last year but N.A.T.O.-backed Afghan forces recaptured the city within days, writes the BBC.

At least five Taliban fighters armed with AK-47 assault rifles, machines guns and rocket-propelled grenades were spotted in the city, reports The Guardian. The Taliban has intensified its campaign across several parts in the country, including the strategic southern province of Helmand, where the group threatens to gain control over provincial capital of Lashkar Gah.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE