Gunmen strike American University campus in Kabul

Aug 25, 2016, 1:58 AM EDT
American University of Afghanistan, Kabul
(Source: US Embassy Kabul Afghanistan/flickr)

At least 13 people were killed and more than 40 others injured in an attack on the American University in the Afghan capital Kabul late on Wednesday. The assault began with a powerful explosion and lasted for about 10 hours before the security forces shot dead two attackers. Police rescued about 750 students and staff, who were stuck in the campus during the attack.

Massoud Hossaini, a Pulitzer Prize-winning photojournalist said that at least two grenades were thrown into the classroom in which he and 15 other students had barricaded themselves to escape the attackers, writes the BBC.

The attack comes two weeks after two employees of the University, one of them American and the other Australian, were abducted by unknown gunmen, reports Al Jazeera. The attack is a grim reminder of the crippling state of security in Afghanistan where the jihadist group Taliban has scaled up its efforts against the Western-backed Kabul government.

A recent U.S. report revealed that the Kabul government has lost five percent of its territories in the first half of 2016. Earlier this month, the Taliban blew off a truck bomb outside a military and logistics compound in Kabul, killing at least one policeman, notes Reuters

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE