Jack Warner banned for life from football activities

Sep 30, 2015, 7:37 AM EDT
 Former FIFA vice-president Jack Warner speaks during an Independent Liberal Party community meeting on June 11, 2015 in Surrey, Trinidad And Tobago.
AFP/Getty Images

Former Fifa vice-president Jack Warner has been banned from football for life, reports the BBC.

The 72-year-old Trinidadian is the former head of Caribbean and North and Central American football (Concacaf), but quit Fifa in 2011.

He is fighting extradition to the U.S. on corruption charges and denies accepting millions of dollars in bribes. Warner committed "many and various acts of misconduct continuously and repeatedly" said the football world governing body's ethics committee.

Fifa's ruling follows its own investigation into the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, which began looking at Warner's activities in January 2015.

On Tuesday, Fifa said Warner had been found guilty of violating the organisation's code of ethics several times.

A statement read: "In his positions as a football official, he was a key player in schemes involving the offer, acceptance, and receipt of undisclosed and illegal payments, as well as other money-making schemes."

Last week, Swiss prosecutors started criminal proceedings against Fifa president Sepp Blatter over an "unfavourable" contract - thought to refer to a 2005 TV rights deal between Fifa and Warner.

On Tuesday, Warner emailed the Press Association saying: "I do not believe however that this will serve as the distraction to Fifa's present problems as Fifa wishes it to be. "Given what is happening in Zurich with Blatter I wish to say that there is no such thing as coincidence."

Warner - who was one of football's most powerful figures and whose support was seen as crucial for any World Cup host bid - was one of 14 current or former Fifa officials and associates who were indicted by United States authorities in May on bribery and racketeering charges.