• Pin It
  • Pin It

Study: Mars soil too toxic for microbial growth

Jul 13, 2017, 8:55 AM EDT
(Source: Kevin Gill/flickr)
(Source: Kevin Gill/flickr)

The results from the latest experiments have dealt a serious blow to the chances of inhabiting Mars someday in future. A new study concluded that the surface of the Red Planet is riddled with “toxic cocktail” of chemicals that makes it too deadly for existence of microbial life.

The conclusion by Jennifer Wadsworth, a postgraduate astrobiologist at Edinburgh University, though, doesn’t entirely reject the possibility of habitation on Mars, writes The Guardian.

The layers, two or three meters beneath the surface, might be shielded from radiation and could be the site with traces of life, past or present, notes ABC News.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE